FUNCTIONAL NEUROLOGY


Just like specialists in the medical field, there are also specialists in the chiropractic profession. Dr. Haxton is a diplomate of the American Chiropractic Neurology Board (DACNB) which means he has a specialty in chiropractic neurology also known as functional neurology. This designation is only held by 27 chiropractors in Canada.

functionalneurology

Functional neurology focuses on diagnosing and treating brain-based challenges. Practitioners diagnose, treat, and rehabilitate patients by taking advantage of neuroplasticity—the ability of our neural pathways and brain synapses to physically change. Among most people, 60% of our nerve pathways are the same at birth. This allows the remaining 40% to be shaped by experience, environment and genetics. 

Functional neurology evaluates the body’s neurological systems, treating a broad range of conditions from back pain, developmental delays, migraines, vertigo and even concussions. 

Functional neurologists use the musculoskeletal (muscles and bones) and sensory systems (sight, taste, touch,smell, hearing) as they interact with the neurological system (brain) to improve quality of life. We use a variety of treatment modalities including the technique of adjustment as well as other sensory-based treatments to elicit improvements in health.This exciting new field is gaining a lot of momentum. Media coverage has highlighted the success of functional neurology in high profile athletes, such as Sidney Crosby and Olympic medalists, looking for a competitive edge. In everyday life, many people are utilizing functional neurology after being told their test results are normal but their symptoms are still affecting their daily lives.

As more research is conducted in the field of neurology, functional neurologists can modify and evolve their treatments to conform to the newest standards of care for the best possible results.

For more information you can visit the American Chiropractic Neurology Board website.